Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A fun Science experiment.

We recently went blueberry picking with some friends.  Here are a few of the pictures.  I can't download pictures to my computer right now, hence the rare posts!  My husband downloaded these to his computer and e-mailed them to me.  It's definitely not all of the pictures I have taken lately, but it's most of what he downloaded for me.  Hopefully I can figure it all out soon! 
Warren did a Science experiment with my kids the other day.  We are doing Apologia's "Exploring Creation With Astronomy".  The experiment was to make a rocket out of paper and put a film cannister inside it.  Then you put an Alkaselzer tablet and water in the cannister, put the lid on, and the chemical reaction of the Alkaselzer and water causes the rocket to shoot up in the air.  It worked ok at best.  Carrington decided to try it with baking soda and vinegar and we got a MUCH better reaction!  We nixed the paper rocket and just used the film cannister.  (You can only do this with the kind that has the lid that fits inside the cannister.)  She put the vinegar in first, maybe 1/3 full.  Then she added the baking soda, put the lid on very quickly, and put the cannister upside down.  The film cannister shot up into the air at least 10 feet.  It was a great experiment!  I highly recommend goggles just in case it hits you in the eye.  You can get free film cannisters at stores that develop film.  Happy experimenting!

1 comment:

  1. I think we have done that one before. I will have to try the baking soda and vinegar one with the boys... they would enjoy that, I'm sure! I had fun with ya'll this past weekend~

    Love,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete

free counters

My Play List