Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Let the Learning Begin!

This is our first official week of school.  It is going pretty well.  I truly enjoy learning along with my children!  This year we are studying My Father's World, Creation to the Greeks.  If anyone can make ancient times fun it is My Father's World curriculum.  I'm really excited that the Science included is Creation based.  We've learned that the earth is actually about 6,000 years old, not MILLIONS!  There is a TON of Scientific evidence to back this up, and more is being discovered all the time. 
One of the things we will be learning is Greek root words.  I'm so excited about this!  I didn't realize how helpful it is for children to learn Greek and Latin words until I read the preface for English from the Roots Up.  It is such a great foundation for all of  Language Arts.  I am continually amazed at how much I have learned since I started homeschooling. 
Every morning we do our Bible time first.  It is so cute to see Clayton run and get his camouflage-bedecked Bible.  We've done Bible reading and various devotionals since before he was born, and he always just listened (and many times didn't listen!).  But this week, he has decided that he wants to help read the Bible verses.  This makes our Bible time go very slowly, but I am not about to tell him that he can't help read the Bible!  I am reminded of  Matthew 18:6, "But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."  As far as I'm concerned, parenting is the most important job in the world.  It has eternal implications.  We need to take our jobs very seriously.
On a lighter note........I read a wonderful book a couple of years ago that was extremely helpful in regards to the early elementary years of education.  Better Late Than Early, by Dr. Raymond Moore, talks about not pushing young children too hard in school.  He asserts that it can actually hurt a child in the long run to push him to read before he is ready to.  I wish that I had read his book before Carrington was in kindergarten!  I would have been much more relaxed during her first several years of school!  Better Late Than Early is the most helpful book on homeschooling that I have ever read. 
Clayton will continue to read his verses during Bible time and eventually he will read with ease.  As much as he LOVES for me to read books to him, I know that he will love reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

free counters

My Play List