Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Simplicity Parenting




I am reading Kim John Payne's book, Simplicity Parenting.  It is FABULOUS!  It makes so much sense that the typical American family is way too fast paced, and has way too much stuff.  I have tried in the past to fight against too much stuff and a too fast-paced lifestyle with my family, but this book has already inspired me to take it even further.  I'm only on chapter 2, and I have already started getting rid of some of our stuff.  To be honest, I didn't know you could ever have too many books.  I LOVE BOOKS!  But now that I think about it, I realize that we have so many books, that my kids miss out on some of the really good ones, because they don't even see them on the shelf.  So........I'm going to start weeding out the ones that are "twaddle" as they say in homeschooling circles.  Some books just aren't that great........they're silly, or have a bad message, etc.  I have also thrown away 2 large garbage bags worth of junky toys today, and filled several more bags full of stuff that needs to go to Good Will.  I'm a bit of a hoarder and a sentimental slob. I have a really hard time getting rid of stuff from when my children were babies or toddlers.  That time in their lives went by soooooooo fast and I want to hang onto it, but some of the stuff needs to go.  Oh, but I will definitely hang onto some things, the really cute outfits, the sweet baby blankets, the pacifier.........  I'm not totally reformed yet, but it's a start.  :-)

My dream would be to re-create my Dad's childhood for my own children.  He grew up on a farm.  He had 8 siblings.  They had no tv, no car, and VERY few toys.  They were poor, but he has nothing but fond memories and funny stories from his childhood.    There are certain things that I can't control and some that I can, so that is what I will work on.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

free counters

My Play List